Relaxation - A Door to Meditation
Here is a short (2-3 minutes) relaxation exercise that may be helpful to follow before Meditation.
To begin, from the chosen, comfortable, meditation position exhale deeply and imagine the breath is reaching your toes, ankles and knees and relax into these areas.
- Following a deep in-breath, exhale and imagine the breath is reaching the base of the spine, the stomach area, the chest and the throat and relax int
o these areas.
- As before, following an in-breath, exhale and imagine the breath is reaching across the shoulders, down the arms into the elbows, wrists and fingers and relax into these areas.
- Next, take a deep in-breath, exhale imagining the breath is reaching the neck, facial muscles, nose, eyes and forehead and relax into these areas.
- Then picture the whole body, exhale deeply and be aware of any particular tensions and relax into these areas.
- Inhale and exhale gently two or three times and then focus the attention on silently saying the mantra – listening to each syllable as you say it.
Hopefully, the body will now be relaxed and ready to give attention to saying the word or prayer phrase and will be at peace.
This exercise has been adapted from a longer relaxation exercise. If anyone is interested in having the fuller version, please email: email@example.com or phone: 0207 278 2070
Pam Winters, Lone Meditators Special Interest Coordinator